Rules and Regulations
Exhibitors must have owned or managed their sheep on or before July 1. 4-H members are limited to one entry in each class. Separate classes may be provided for purebred wool and meat breeds of sheep. Exhibitors in purebred classes must show their registration papers when called for. Sheep must be shown on halter for all classes. Show is open to all enrolled RI 4-H’ers.
4-H sheep must be penned and registration and rabies/health papers checked in with the 4-H or Open Superintendents by 10:00 p.m. on Tuesday.
4-H sheep will be released by the 4-H Sheep Superintendents by Thursday 6 pm. Each 4-H’er is responsible for breaking down his/her sheep pens provided. If any 4-H sheep are entered and shown in the Open Show, they must stay on the fairgrounds and follow Open Show rules until released by the Open Show Superintendent on Friday, unless previous arrangements are made with Open Show Superintendent.
Each exhibitor must show his or her own project sheep alone in the single classes. Another 4-H’er may help the exhibitor if the animal is extremely large, unruly or the 4-H’er has a handicap. (These exceptions must be discussed with the Superintendent prior to the show.) The exhibitor may recruit other 4-H’ers to help in the group classes.
Fitting and Showmanship
All 4-H Exhibitors must enter a Fitting and Showmanship class.
Judging of Fitting and Showmanship Classes is based on:
- Blocking and fitting for the Show.
- Handling and posing the animal before the judge.
- Personal appearance and sportsmanship of the exhibitor.
- Exhibitors enter only one Fitting and Showmanship Class: Freshman, Intermediate, Junior, Senior.
- Exhibitor Dress: White shirt or blouse; tan or black pants or slacks must be clean and neat (no blue denims).
The following classes may be divided according to breed and/or exhibitor age:
1. Fitting & Showmanship, Senior Division: 4-H members 16-19 as of 1-1.
2. Fitting & Showmanship, Intermediate Division: 4-H members 13-15 as of 1-1.
3. Fitting & Showmanship, Junior Division: 4-H members 10-12 as of 1-1.
4. Fitting & Showmanship, Freshman Division: 4-H members 7-9 as of 1-1.
The following classes may be divided according to breed and/or wool breed or meat breeds.
Classes will be the same as the Open show will coincide with the Open show. Entries will be marked 4H and/or Open. 4Her’s need to enter the Open show in order to receive Open show premiums. Proper entry fees for the Open show much accompany the entry form.
Ribbons for Blue, Red and White placing. Showmanship Rosette for Freshman, Intermediate, Junior and Senior Champions. Trophies or medals for Freshman, Intermediate, Junior and Senior classes and champion showman. Prizes will be given for Champion Ewe, Champion Ram & Champion Market Lamb.
Premiums: 1st – $10.00; 2nd – $7.00; 3rd – $6.00; 4th – $3.00
Showmanship: 1st – $20.00; 2nd – $15.00; 3rd – $10.00; 4th – $5.00
Tony Patti, 150 Camp Westwood Rd, Greene, RI 02827